North Carolina Handbook: Unlicensed Assistive Personnel

WHAT DOES THE TERM “UNLICENSED ASSISTIVE PERSONNEL” INCLUDE? The term “unlicensed assistive personnel” (UAP) , used by the North Carolina Board of Nursing, may refer to medical assistants, office assistants, medical office assistants, certified medical assistants, patient care assistants, registered medical assistants, and nurse aides. Many medical offices find that the use of these personnel allows the office to operate in a more cost-effective and efficient manner. However, you must take precautions to ensure that UAPs are practicing within their scope. WHO MAY DIRECT AND DELEGATE DUTIES TO UAPs? UAPs may work under the direction of both physicians and licensed nurses (RNs and LPNs) in the office setting. Both the licensed ...
News & Knowledge