Maryland Handbook: Unlicensed Assistive Personnel

WHAT TYPES OF DUTIES MAY UNLICENSED ASSISTIVE PERSONNEL PERFORM? In the State of Maryland, a license or certification is required to practice nursing and other nursing related professions. In additional to licensing all types of Advanced Practice Provider nurses, the Maryland Board of Nursing requires Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, Electrologists, Nursing Assistants, Medication Technicians, Medicine Aides, Direct Entry Midwives, Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA’s) to hold a state license or certification, as appropriate.  Maryland Code also specifies what duties may and may not be delegated by licensed nursing staff to certified staff. The term “unlicensed assistive personnel” (UAP), may refer to medical assistants, office assistants, medical office assistants, certified medical assistants, registered medical assistants, and nurse aides. Many medical offices find that the use of these personnel allows the office to operate in a more cost-effective an...
News & Knowledge