While most advanced vaccine candidates require two shots, not all will necessarily need two. Currently at this time, the first two COVID-19 vaccines submitted to FDA for EUA do require two shots. The following are some guidelines to assist with managing return appointments:
- Discuss expectations with the patient prior to first vaccination.
- Have the patient sign a consent/agreement that covers the risks and benefits of the vaccine and an agreement to return for the second dose.
- Provide the patient with a return appointment for the second dose when they receive their first dose.
- Use a tracking process to alert you when patients are due for their next vaccination, and track all no shows and canceled/rescheduled appointments.
- Follow the vaccine manufacturer instructions to define the appropriate window time frame for the second vaccination.
- Have designated staff alert providers when patients are not complying with that time frame.
- Document consent, patient response, vaccine administration, and any correspondence related to vaccination.