A recent poll by the U.S. Census Bureau indicates that up to 49% of Americans are delaying medical care. Practices are finding it difficult to stay connected with their patients and keep them healthy and cared for amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Implementing a clear strategy to stay connected with patients will benefit both your patients as well as your practice.
- Identify patients who have:
- Chronic conditions that need follow-up care
- Cancelled or missed appointments in the past six months
- Lab/diagnostic studies due
- Comprehensive physical exams due
- Call patients to schedule appointments. This will provide them an opportunity to ask questions.
- Send letters, emails, portal messages, and/or text messages that outline office hours and pandemic processes.
- Update your practice website with new information (e.g. office hours and processes).
- Update your office hours on social media accounts.
- Consider posting a short YouTube video showing new processes (face coverings, hand sanitizing, social distancing, etc.).
- Consider offering a telehealth visit for patients who are skeptical or unwilling to come to your office.
- Stay in touch with your patients and document your efforts!